Not So Urgent Care

I’m writing this blog from the comfort of my parent’s kitchen in New York. Unfortunately, Bernie did not make the trip with me as planned. Why is that? Well, let me take you back to the adventure that was last night.

Over the last couple days, Bernie’s health has gone pretty down hill. One minute he’s complaining about a slight cough and feeling exhausted, the next minute he’s getting sent home from work, dying. When he went to work on Wednesday, his boss took one look at him and sent him home. Our plan was originally to leave after work on Wednesday night and head straight to NY for a couple days to visit for the holiday. We realized once his boss sent him home that he was pretty sick and needed to go to the doctor ASAP. After weighing what to do, we decided to head to urgent care that night. So I left work and we headed to Waltham to an urgent care clinic.

We arrived around 5:00 and checked in. It didn’t seam too busy; there were only about 5 other people in the waiting room. They gave him a paper mask which made the whole situation seem a bit silly. About a half hour later, they took him in to do some paperwork. 5:40 rolls around and we still haven’t been seen. Then this is pretty much how the whole thing played out in my head:

  • 5:45 – This is kind of ridiculous. Did that guy over there just say he’s been there for 2 hours?
  • 6:00 – Bernie gets taken to the exam room. Okay good, we’re moving.
  • 6:30 – Still waiting, watching the news on TV.
  • 7:00 – Text from Bernie, he wants to stage a walk out. He still hasn’t been seen.
  • 7:30 – Still waiting. Bernie is sitting in an exam room alone and no one has come in. He thinks they forgot about him…but there’s only 3 other people here. Fail.
  • 7:35 – A woman with scrubs on comes out in the waiting room to tidy up the magazines, as it is after closing time. I ask her what the hold up is and that my boyfriend has been in a room for over an hour without anyone coming to check him out. She apologizes and said she doesn’t know what the hold up is. Umm…we’re the last ones here….wtf?!!
  • 7:45 – He’s being seen…finally.
  • 8:00 – A nurse comes out and says he’s going in for a chest x-ray. Fabulous.
  • 8:10 – I move to a new seat. Why must I always sit directly under air vents? I’m frozen.
  • 8:20 – This “Last Man Standing” show sucks. These questions are such a joke. Where is Bernie? I’m starving.
  • 8:25 – A nurse comes back out to say that he wanted to know how I was doing out here and asks if I’d like to come wait with him in the room for the doctor. I decline.
  • 8:45 – A nurse says he’s getting a nebulizer treatment. Asks again if I’d like to come in. I decline — I didn’t want to intrude.
  • 8:50 – He’s getting his discharge papers.
  • 9:05 – Bernie returns. FINALLY! …Wow, he doesn’t look good.

So when it was all said and done, Bernie was diagnosed with severe pneumonia. The doctor said that it was good he came in that night, because if he had waited it would have gotten much worse and he could have been hospitalized. Bernie is a rather large human being, and his entire left lung was full of fluid. For it to be that bad within 5 days, it’s a pretty serious infection. Yikes. As we walk slowly out to the car to go home to pick up antibiotics waiting at the pharmacy, he tells me that he kept wondering where I was and why I wasn’t coming to see him in the room. The nurses kept asking me if I wanted to come in, not telling me that he wanted me. I declined every time because I didn’t know it was so serious and that he was so sick. I figured I’d just wait and not intrude. WTF nurses?!?!!?

Clearly, driving back to NY is no longer happening that night. We drive back to Boston and pick up his antibiotics. I kid you not, I’ve never seen someone that sick in a long time. Walking through CVS, he looked like the walking dead. I felt horrible. I still do.

So our plans where changed – I took the car and headed to NY today after staying with him last night. I wanted to make sure he didn’t die last night…that wouldn’t be good. It’s situations like this where I’m reminded again how much I hate those urgent care places. When they’re run correctly, they’re not only convenient, but they are life savers. This one was NOT. Apparently, the head doctor was yelling at the nurses for not attending to him soon enough. Little kids with wrist sprains who came in after us were being taken in and taken care of before anyone ever even got to Bernie. Um, pneumonia is kind of a big deal. It really pisses me off how that can happen.

Now I’m boyfriendless for Christmas 😦 . Oh well, at least he’s on the road to recovery.