I know, you’re probably thinking, “Where is the Travel Tuesday post?!” Not to worry – it will be back next week. I wanted to do a final write up about mine and Bernie’s experience with Contiki, and I want to make sure it covers everything, so I need another week to finish it. TT will be back next week, promise :).
Spring is all about renewal, new beginnings, and loving life. With the warm weather finally approaching and Spring around the corner, I thought I would share some things that I’ve been loving/am thankful for with Spring around the corner.
1. Red onions. They make EVERYTHING better.
2. Zucchini fries. Just zucchini cut long, dredged in egg white, then coated in breadcrumbs (mixed with parm cheese, salt, pepper, onion powder) and baked at 425 degrees for 20 min, flipping twice. Yum Yum Yum!
3. This weather! Yesterday it hit over 70 degrees in Boston. I rode home from work with the windows down and the sun roof open. This makes me VERY happy!
4. My body/my body’s strength and resilience. I’ve lasted 15 weeks of training for my first half marathon without anything worse than some tight hips and IT band. Injuries have been avoided and I feel stronger, faster, and more sure of myself. I can’t wait to run 13.1 miles on Sunday!
5. Naps. I took a nap Sunday night after a morning filled with an 8 mile long-ish run and grocery shopping. I told Bernie I felt tired, so I went and laid down for a quick power nap. 2 hours later, he woke me up and asked me if I was going to cook dinner. This is a rare occurrence – I never nap. Honestly, Bernie might be onto something with these naps. I felt pretty good afterward.
6. Foam roller. An absolute lifesaver. My life was changed forever when I was told by my orthopedist to try it out. My muscles have changed forever. Thank you, Foamy.
7. Bernie. I know it’s corny to be thankful for your boyfriend, or whatever, but he’s been amazingly supportive during my grueling training (aka: “Pretending you’re a Kenyan” he says). He’s also been my partner in crime with everything. I’m moving in with him come August, and it’s been fun redoing his condo and making it more of a home before I join. I’m getting really excited to live together!
8. My mom’s soda bread. She makes it every March around St. Patrick’s Day and has been sending me a loaf every year since I went away to college. My mom isn’t Irish at all (she’s Dutch and Ukrainian/Polish) but my father is 100% Irish (Southern Ireland – Co. Kerry/Cork). My mom is basically honorary Irish; she made my Irish Nana proud! The soda bread is pretty awesome, and she always send some really good jam to go with it.
9. My Garmin forerunner 405. Again, another item that changed my running game forever. I don’t know how I ran for years without one.
10. French Bulldog puppies. Bernie and I have discussed getting a dog within the next year or so, and we’re leaning toward a Frenchie. If I have a puppy as cute as this one, I will be the happiest girl alive.
Readers: What are some things you’re thankful for/loving right now? What are some things you’ve been doing to take advantage of the warm weather?